Tuesday 12 October 2010

Love Pie.

I was asked yesterday what happened between me and Nicole. Well to be honest I don’t truthfully know for sure. Everything was going great until she went to visit her parents for the weekend. We were in touch every night until the Sunday and then she never called or answered my calls until very late in the evening and when she did all she said was that I had to cool things down and when I pressed her as to what was the matter she said for me to go to bed and she put the phone down. I tried calling her on the Monday from time to time but her phone was off and then when she was back on Tuesday morning I went to do the logs and get my jobs from her and she just spoke to me like I was the gardener and also said that there was no further need for me to go to the house in the mornings as they wouldn’t be using any more logs for the time being so now I just go straight in to the gardens and find my own jobs. I never see anyone from one end of the day to the next. I did manage to get her cornered after a week or so and I asked if it was something her parents had said and she said they had said nothing. All she would say was that we had a good time and should just leave it there and that’s all I have ever got to know. The wonderful Tony has disappeared back to London and everything at the big house seems to be back as it was although as I say I see no one so don’t have any real idea what is happening. Today was one of the best days I’ve had in over six months and for the first time in ages I am actually looking forward to going to work tomorrow. Now I know what you’re going to say when I tell you this but really I’m not going down the same road again.
This morning I was planting up the Dowager lady’s wall borders which she asked me to do yesterday when I saw her in the garden with the new nurse. Anyway I was getting on well and was just thinking of taking my tea break when the nurse came out of the dowager house. I had resisted bringing forth a stiffy all last night for fear it would affect my judgement of her but this morning I woke with my pyjamas under considerable strain and I have to be honest and say I succumbed to the pressure so when the nurse put in an appearance this morning I couldn’t help pay more interest than I had previously. She seemed much prettier than I remembered, very slim with long legs. Nicole is quite tall but the nurse is probably even taller. This morning she was actually dressed more like a nurse, or perhaps more like a doctor actually as she was wearing a long white coat over not a lot as far as I could tell – I do tend to notice stuff like that. I think she knew that I was already there because she didn’t show any sort of surprise when she saw me and went straight in to a conversation about the pansies I was planting. She also said that she has to step outside for a breath of fresh air as the old couple have it very hot in the house which was perhaps why the nurse didn’t appear to have much on under her coat – there again it was probably just me and my wishful thinking! She told me her name which is Katie and I passed a comment on the wonderful smell that was coming through the half open door. She announced that she was baking an apple pie which surprised me a little as it’s not the normal thing for a nurse to do but it turns out she is more of a PA come housekeeper than a actual nurse to the old couple although she does have nursing duties as well. After asking when my lunch break was she told me to come back then and she would bring me out a piece for my lunch. I wasn’t sure if this was ok with the old couple but if she was able to pull it off I would willingly eat it. So at just after 12:30 I was hanging around outside the dowager house having finished the planting job some time previously. I was there more in hope than any real belief that she would actually show up with a piece of pie but she didn’t let me down. It was wrapped in foil which was warm to the touch. I took it back to the potting shed where I enjoyed it immensely while I tried desperately not to fall in love with its creator. I’m such a sucker for a kind heart and a pretty smile. I’m sure if she read this now she would laugh at how some one can turn a kind gesture in to a love affair. I’ve just realised there must be something attractive about her because I have hardly given Nicole a thought all day!

No comments: